
In The Loop is a film which carries a serious message through adopting a frequently hilarious tone. I can't remember laughing at a film so much for ages, but was all the while painfully aware that its creator - Armando Iannucci - knows exactly how the powerful elites manipulate our world, and that, instead of creating a pure fiction, he has chosen to exaggerate a scary reality to comic effect.
There are many great characters in the story (including a brilliant cameo by Steve Coogan as a disgruntled constituent) , but my favourite is Simon Foster (played by Tom Hollander), the gaffe-prone Minster for International Development, who reminds me of Harry Enfield's memorable creation, Tim Nice-but-Dim. The most ingenious line in the film also belongs to Foster when an aide unintentionally interrupts him in the Meditation & Prayer Room at the UN, of all places:
Aide: I’ll leave you alone with your thoughts, Minister
Minister: I haven't got any thoughts. I'm just staring into space while a voice in the back of my head goes 'Oh shit', like a car alarm going off in the middle of the night
There are many great characters in the story (including a brilliant cameo by Steve Coogan as a disgruntled constituent) , but my favourite is Simon Foster (played by Tom Hollander), the gaffe-prone Minster for International Development, who reminds me of Harry Enfield's memorable creation, Tim Nice-but-Dim. The most ingenious line in the film also belongs to Foster when an aide unintentionally interrupts him in the Meditation & Prayer Room at the UN, of all places:
Aide: I’ll leave you alone with your thoughts, Minister
Minister: I haven't got any thoughts. I'm just staring into space while a voice in the back of my head goes 'Oh shit', like a car alarm going off in the middle of the night

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think...